Theatre: Acting with Shakespeare
An exciting online course culminating in a performance of scenes from a Shakespearean play. Get a jump on those college prep and AP exams by learning the fun way!
Through interactive class sessions, you will learn how to speak the language of William Shakespeare and read an adaptation of one of his most famous comedies, Twelfth Night! Once cast in roles, you will collaborate with other students and rehearse together during class time (or on your own) to prepare for your tremendous performance!
Acting with Shakespeare is a great way to make new friends from all over, and it is the perfect enhancement to your school’s curriculum — the best way to research for your next English paper!
Weekly Class Schedule
- Class will be held on Saturdays from 4-5:15 pm PDT/PST
- Mid-week prompt or email check-in with instructor between weekend classes
Find the full schedule here.
Meet Your Faculty
Johanna McKay is an award-winning actress of theatre, television, and film who has directed young people in Shakespeare for more than 25 years at Idyllwild Arts. She teaches acting to underprivileged children through P.S. ARTS and is an Adjunct Assistant Professor of Theater at LACC. Her adaptation of Shakespeare’s As You Like It was published by Playscripts, Inc.
What You Will Need
- Good internet connection
- Basic knowledge of Zoom
- Space to move and act in
- Computer with a working camera (make sure it’s charged or plugged in)
- Comfortable clothes to rehearse in
- Device to record yourself with (smart phone, laptop, iPad)
- Notebook and pen or pencils (pencils to mark your texts)
- Printer for printing out scenes and monologues
If you have never used Zoom, check out this Zoom tutorial.
– November 14, 2020
Lab Fee: N/A
Enrollment limited to 20 students.